Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Book Review: The Rules for Breaking by Ashley Elston (Rules for Disappearing #2) (no spoilers)

Book: The Rules for Breaking
Author: Ashley Elston
Publication: May 20th, 2014
Series: Rules for Disappearing #2
Source: Local Library
Read: June 26th-July 4th, 2014
Summary (from Goodreads):

Anna Boyd almost lost her life to get what she wanted most in the world: freedom.

 But just when it seems that her family has finally escaped Witness Protection, the illusion that Anna could resume a normal life comes crashing down.

 The deadly man Anna knows as Thomas is still on the loose, and now he's using her as a pawn in a dangerous game with the drug cartel determined to silence her forever. When Thomas and a mysterious masked man capture not only Anna but also her fragile younger sister and her boyfriend, Anna decides it's time to break all the rules-even if it means teaming up with the lesser of two evils.

 Anna will do whatever it takes to protect the people she loves and win her life back once and for all. But her true enemies are hidden in plain sight. Before long, Anna will learn that putting her trust in anyone may be the last mistake she ever makes.
.

My Thoughts:

I loved The Rules for Disappearing so I was excited to read The Rules for Breaking. The Rules for Breaking was good although The Rules for Disappearing was a lot better. I think this is common with sequels. They just can't compare to their predecessor. 

What I liked was that in The Rules for Disappearing Anna formerly known as Meg built up all these rules for herself and in The Rules for Breaking she is ripping those rules apart. I really enjoyed the romance between Anna and Ethan in this book. I didn't feel like they were just together because they were in this desperate situation. Although in real life I don't think their relationship would last forever. Ethan and Anna did what they had to get out of this desperate situation and I liked that. 

A good portion of this book Anna and Teeny were spent locked up, which was hard to keep the novel exciting. There were some really slow parts in this novel. The villain Thomas didn't really come off as evil to me. If he was more evil he would have done more. The mole in the operation was interesting, but then again it eventually got old too. 

I rated this book 5 stars because despite all that I still enjoyed the book. I would have liked to see more of Teeny, but overall I did enjoy this novel. I think The Rules for Disappearing was miles better, but I can't wait to see what this author comes out with next. I would recommend reading The Rules for Breaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.