Sunday, February 14, 2016

My TBR List January Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Hosted by Michelle @ Because Reading

Book: My Life Next Door
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Publication: June 14, 2012
Source: Library
Read: Jan 29-Feb 11, 2016
Summary (from Goodreads):
"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time." 

 The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

 As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

 A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.


My Thoughts:
This is a book I knew I would love. I have wanted to read this book since it came out, but it always got pushed back on the list. I'm glad 2016 is the year I finally decided to read this wonderful book. I expected My Life Next Door to be a sweet, summer romance. Jase and Samantha have the forbidden love that we see in Romeo and Juliet. I didn't go into the book expecting the serious themes I would see in this book.

For some reason Samantha Reed's mother dislikes the family next door, The Garretts. The Garretts are a large family, who are disorganized, and loud. Samantha's house is quiet and organized. She spends her night pretending to watch the stars, but really she is watching the Garretts. Little did Samantha know she would come so entwined in the Garret family.

I expected this book to be a sweet, summer book and this book undeniably had a lot of sweet moments. I didn't think anything could go wrong for Samantha and Jase's love story. The book is about so much more than just a love story. It is about love, family, hard work, and friendship. The whole book is about building a strong connection with the characters. Samantha who is sweet, but also hardworking and not afraid to speak her mind. Jase who can fix anything, but is also a gentleman and a relationship worth fighting for. Mrs. Garret with her heart of gold. George with his endless string of facts. The baby, Patsy, who only knows about books and poop. Just when everything seems perfect Jase, his family, and Samantha's whole world. Samantha is forced to make life changing decisions that will change her entire life and her relationship with Jase. I think the characters worked through this problem in a realistic way.

I couldn't be happier with the way the book ended. My Life Next Door becomes the first book of 2016 to make me cry and I actually cried 3 or 4 times with the intense moments. I'm excited to read more books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.