Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Book Review: Sister in Sanity by Gayle Forman (no spoilers)

Book: Sisters in Sanity
Author: Gayle Forman
Publication: August 16th, 2007
Source: Inter-library loan
Rating: 4/5 stars.
Summary (from Goodreads):

Have you ever had the "out-of-control" dream? The one where you know you're not crazy, but no one around you--not your parents, not your teachers, not even the authorities--will listen to you? For sixteen-year-old Brit Hemphill, the out-of-control dream comes true when her dad enrolls her at Red Rock, a bogus treatment center that claims to cure rebellious teen girls. At Red Rock, Brit is forced into therapy, and her only hope of getting her life back is in the hands of an underqualified staff of counselors. Brit's dad thinks Red Rock can save her, but the truth is it's doing more harm than good. 

No girl could survive Red Rock alone--but at a treatment center where you earn privileges for ratting out your peers, it's hard to know who you can trust. For Brit, everything changes when she meets V, Bebe, Martha, and Cassie, four girls who keep her from going over the edge. Together they'll hold on to their sanity and their sisterhood while trying to keep their Red Rock reality from becoming a full-on nightmare.


My Thoughts:

I was sad to read the author's note and know that the fictional place of Red Rock that Gayle Forman writes about does still exist in real life although maybe not as harsh as Red Rock there are treatment centers that behave in this way and that is what inspired Gayle Forman to write this novel.

I read Sisters in Sanity for the five month read along hosted by The Books Addict's Guide.

I have heard a lot about Gayle Forman especially her newest book Just One Day and I couldn't wait to read a Gayle Forman book, but she kept going to the back of my TBR pile until I saw this Read Along so I was over joyed to find this read along. Then came the challenge of obtaining a copy of Sisters in Sanity since my library didn't have a copy. I ended up getting it through an inter-library loan and reading it really fast.

I had high expectations for Sisters in Sanity. I was expecting the wow factor that so many reviewers had talked about in relation to her books. Unfortunately there was no ultimate wow factor in Sisters in Sanity. There was no moment that wanted to make me cry or anything like that. I did form a deep emotional bond with the characters and hated the people I was supposed to hate.

The Sisters are composed of Brit, Virginia (V), Cassie, Martha, and Bebe. They are all at Red Rock treatment facility for one reason or another. Their parents believe that Red Rock is the the answers to their teenage daughters problems. It doesn't take long after Brit walks in when she starts noticing problems. Brit forms a bond with these girls so they can make it through the hell that is Red Rock.

This was a really character driven novel and I loved each character's personality and bravery. You could see that these girls were true friends. The ending was satisfying after a rather depressing novel. The ending was not totally surprising as I wished it would have been. I wish the author talked a bit more about Brit's romance with Jed. Gayle Forman really explained how messed up of a place this was and I was constantly cheering for the characters. I'm excited to read another book by Gayle Forman. This was my first book.


If you have already read Sisters in Sanity join me in my spoiler discussion of the novel:
Read Along Week 1 Answers
Read Along Week 2 Answers
Read Along Week 3 Answers
Read Along Week 4 Answers

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious about this book, but I still can't find this book in my country. Can you give me recomendations others interesting book/novel to read?
    I'm sorry for my bad english
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.