Saturday, July 27, 2013

I'm back from college July 2013 Recap


July was a new adventure for me. This month I set off to university to take 7 credits in four weeks. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The two main classes were College Algebra and Speech. Day 1 of this program I spent 3 hours doing 1 math homework assignment. I thought there was no way I would get math 102 done. There were four units and once I got past Unit 1 of College Algebra I flew through it and finished in 23 days. Speech was frustrating because with all this math homework we didn't have a lot of time for speech. I managed to get my speeches done and although I didn't do the reading I managed to pass all the quizzes and the final thanks to them being online and open book. I just finally started reading my speech book within this last week to pass the final. The third class was leadership and that was an easy one credit class that none of us put much effort into. 

Through it all I did manage to have some fun and make some friends that I truly care about. 
My Dorm Room for the Summer
Desk area

Closet 

Kitchen







Living Room 
Bathroom
I know what you are thinking through all these pictures. There is no way that is a dorm room. We stayed in the nicer dorms at my university this summer. They are apartment style living dorms. I shared this room with one other girl. We each had our own bedroom and just had to share the living room/kitchen and the bathroom. I really learned a lot about living with a roommate that isn't family over this month and I learned that a lot of people don't go to bed as early as I do. 

During this program I never slept good at night. I would wake up to the fridge or the air conditioner turning on. I went to bed around 11 to midnight every night and I would be up every morning at 5:30 am. I thought I would get sleep deprived pretty quickly, but for the most part I was able to keep going. I discovered that I'm most likely going to like naps in college because I began taking naps. 

About two weeks into the program I began to take advantage of early pool hours. I learned that the indoor pool opened at 5:30 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I would head down to the pool and swim for an hour, get ready, and go have breakfast. 

Every day had about the same routine.
Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper. Also the building
I'm going to be living in for the next year
Then we would head across from The Commons to Math Emporium where we spent countless hours doing math. I spent 62 hours doing homework, quizzes, and tests this month. That doesn't even count all the time I spent watching math videos. 
Then it was off to the school of Business where we took Speech on the 3rd Floor. 
After that we had lunch back at the Commons. Then we had free time in the afternoon followed by Leadership at 4:30 Monday and Fridays. Supper was at 5 to 5:30. That completed our day except for the extra time we went and spent in the math emporium. 

I learned a lot about college life during this 4 week program. I found my way around campus and could tell you where basically any building is at. This program made me even more excited for the fall semester because I understand how much easier fall semester is going to be. I will not be doing this much homework every day in the fall. Sad as this may seem I'm looking forward to moving into my room in the regular dorms in the fall and getting to know even more people. 

All in all I enjoyed my first month of college and I am even more excited to go back for my first real semester of college. For now I got 7 college credits and I'm excited to start my future at this university. 


Thanks 


Rachael


8 comments:

  1. I loved seeing your dorm/campus apartment and I am sure you will put your mark on it in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel at home on this small campus and I can't wait to go back for the fall semester and experience so many new things. These first 7 credits were just the start.

      Delete
  2. I love looking at these pictures... it makes me feel the excitement nervousness that I used to feel when started a new semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. This campus truly became my home within the month I spent there. I can't wait to start the fall semester. This 7 credits were just the beginning of my future. Look forward to more pictures when I wrap up my fall semester. I did after all start this blog so I could A)talk about book and B) talk about my life as a college student.

      Delete
  3. Those are some nice dorms! As a former swimmer, I think it's awesome your university has a pool -- mine used to, but they cemented it in my sophomore year so they could build a gym instead (boo!!) Good luck with the rest of your classes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have to worry about theme getting rid of the pool because the swim team use it for practice. I think it is awesome exercise.

      Delete
  4. That really was an amazing experience! And the great thing about the program is that it helps condition all the freshmen, so that they can adapt to the new environment much easier. Anyway, I think being uncomfortable in your first few days is understandable. But hopefully you will get accustomed to it soon after. So, how are things going now?

    Deborah Williams @ Choice Career College

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm almost through my first semester of Sophomore year so I'm well adjusted to college life and just enjoying the ride while stressing out about life and classes. I love college and it has been a fun part of my life. I just can't believe how fast it is all going.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.