Saturday, April 11, 2015

Book Review: Cinderella by Jenni James (Faerie Tale Collection #4) (no spoilers)

Book: Cinderella
Author: Jenni James
Publication: Feb 18th, 2013
Series: Faerie Tale Collection #4
Source: Inter-library loan
Read: Jan 29th-31st, 2015
Summary (from Goodreads):
A girl with a secret and a prince on a mission.

  When Prince Anthony spies Eleanoria Woodston outside her family home dressed as a servant, he knows something is amiss. Pretending to be John, his cousin’s outrider, he decides to take matters into his own hands and figure out why Ella hasn’t been seen at court. And more importantly why the daughter of one of the wealthiest families in the kingdom dresses like a pauper.

 Ella has had her own bout of trials, including losing her beloved father and facing the wrath and jealousy of her stepmother and stepsisters. Becoming a servant doesn’t seem all that bad until the handsome John comes into her life, now he appears to be upsetting everything. Never before has she been so unsettled. Just his presence is making her dream of a life beyond this one.

 When John invites Ella to the ball and she grudgingly accepts, he wonders if he’s truly losing his mind. How would he ever pull off pretending to be John while obviously hosting the ball as Anthony? Especially when the stubborn girl has made it quite obvious she would never attend a ball with a snobbish prince.


My Thoughts:

Cinderella was another short novel by Jenni James. As I mentioned above I got this book through inter-library loan and it came all the way from Hawaii. I live in the midwest so the book made quite a trip. I had already started Cinderella previously, but wasn't able to finish before the due date, so I picked up where I left off.

Ella meets Prince Anthony before the ball, but she doesn't know he is a prince since he disguises himself as John, the village boy she beat at horse racing. Mentioning horses, Ella has a passion for horses, but of course that privilege was taken away when her father died. Ella is the wealthiest person in the kingdom, but she doesn't know that and is treated like a servant.

Ella dreams of a brighter future and she knows that future can exist with Anthony. I enjoyed the chemistry between Ella and Anthony. It was also nice to see the inclusion of Anthony's parents. Ella was very kind to her stepsisters and stepmother at the end. I enjoyed how every character was given an ending. Some of the magic was taken out of this Cinderella story, but Jenni James managed to write her own unique spin on Cinderella.

1 comment:

  1. I want to read these! Hopefully my new library has them!

    ReplyDelete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.