Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Review: Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George (no spoilers)

Book: Princess of the Silver Woods
Author: Jessica Day George
Publication: Dec 12, 2012
Series: Princess #3
Source: Local Library
Read: Feb 9-21, 2015
Summary (from Goodreads):

When Petunia, the youngest of King Gregor's twelve dancing daughters, is invited to visit an elderly friend in the neighboring country of Westfalin, she welcomes the change of scenery. But in order to reach Westfalin, Petunia must pass through a forest where strange two-legged wolves are rumored to exist. Wolves intent on redistributing the wealth of the noble citizens who have entered their territory. But the bandit-wolves prove more rakishly handsome than truly dangerous, and it's not until Petunia reaches her destination that she realizes the kindly grandmother she has been summoned to visit is really an enemy bent on restoring an age-old curse. The stories of Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood get a twist as Petunia and her many sisters take on bandits, grannies, and the new King Under Stone to end their family curse once and for all.

My Thoughts:
*may spoil previous books in series, but will not have any spoilers for this novel*

This was my least favorite book of the Princess Series. The book could be slow at times and was not based on the fairy tale of Little Red Riding Hood as much as the other two were based on their fairy tales.

Petunia was the main princess of this book, but all the other sisters had a role in this book also. I loved finding out more about their family especially Rose. The King Under Stone returns except this time it is one of his 12 sons as king. There were still a lot of loose ends surrounding King Under Stone that needed to be wrapped up and I'm happy to say that Princess of the Silver Woods was able to give me peace with these characters and their future.

Oliver was different from all the other love interests. His wall was harder to break down, but he was willing to help the princesses and went to great lengths to do so. I loved having Galen in this book also. He is just a great character that I fell in love with.

I loved how she intertwined elements of Little Red Riding Hood and the story line from Princess of the Midnight Ball into this novel. I enjoyed finding more out about their mother also. I love the Westfalin Princess and I knew at the end of Princess of Glass I just wasn't at peace with their journey. This book answered so many of my questions I still had about the Kingdom Under Stone. The ending was predictable as most fairy tales are, but I wouldn't have wanted any other ending for the Westfalin Princesses. Princess of the Midnight Ball was clearly my favorite in the series, but I think the whole series is worth reading.

Hosted by Misty @ The Book Rat and Bonnie @ A Backwards Story

1 comment:

  1. Ah, a Little Red Riding Hood re-telling, how cute! I have yet to read any books in this series so I skimmed through your review lightly. I will definitely have to give this series a try one of these days. Thanks for sharing, Racheal!

    ReplyDelete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.