Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Book Review: Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas and Micah Sparks (no spoilers)


Book: Three Weeks with my Brother 
Authors: Nicholas and Micah Sparks
Series: Standalone
Publication: January 3rd, 2006
Source: Local Library
Rating: 5/5 stars   

Summary (from Goodreads):

The day the brochure came was a typical one. With a wife and five small children, a hectic schedule, and a new book due to his publishers, Nicholas Sparks was busy with his usual routine. The colorful mailer, however, described something very different: a tour to some of the most exotic places on Earth. Slowly, an idea took hold in Nicholas's mind and heart. In January 2003, Nicholas Sparks and his brother, Micah, set off on a three-week trip around the globe. It was to mark a milestone in their lives, for at thirty-seven and thirty-eight respectively, they were now the only surviving members of their family. And as they voyaged to the lost city of Machu Picchu high in the Andes. . . to mysterious Easter Island. . . to Ayers Rock in the Australian outback. . . and across the vast Indian subcontinent, the ultimate story of their lives would unfold. Against the backdrop of the wonders of the world and often overtaken by their feelings, daredevil Micah and the more serious, introspective Nicholas recalled their rambunctious childhood adventures and the tragedies that tested their faith. And in the process, they discovered startling truths about loss, love and hope. Narrated with irrepressible humor and rare candor, and including personal photographs, Three Weeks with my Brother reminds us to embrace life with all its uncertainties. . . and most of all, to cherish the joyful times, both small and momentous, and the wonderful people who make them possible.


My Thoughts:

This book has quickly become one of my favorite non-fiction books. In saying that I have not read nearly as much non-fiction books as I probably should have so saying this is my favorite doesn't overly mean much. I loved this book. It was a quick read and the pictures were so interesting. I learned about Nicholas Sparks as a person instead of just an amazing writer. I learned that his life wasn't easy, but he has an incredibly close relationship with his brother. They went through a lot together as children and adults, but through it all they remained close. I have to say I could not imagine spending three weeks with just my brother traveling the world, but I could imagine traveling around the world with my sister. I think in some ways the relationship between Nicholas and Micah is somewhat like the relationship between my sister and myself. It was also very interesting to learn how he started writing all his novels even during the hardest times in his life. He also mentions who the characters are named after or which person in his life the novel is about. Like most authors he plays off his actual life for novel ideas.The most important thing this book taught me is that even when times are hard you must go on for the people you love. Take every day one day at a time and cherish every moment you have. I would defiantly recommend this book to everybody especially Nicholas Sparks fan. 


Thanks for reading


Rachael 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.