Monday, February 10, 2014

Book Review: Asunder by Jodi Meadows (NewSoul Series #2) (no spoilers)

Book: Asunder
Author: Jodi Meadows
Publication: January 29th, 2013
Series: NewSoul #2
Source: Inter-Library Loan
Read: January 26th to February 1st, 2014
Summary (From Goodreads):
DARKSOULS 
Ana has always been the only one. Asunder. Apart. But after Templedark, when many residents of Heart were lost forever, some hold Ana responsible for the darksouls–and the newsouls who may be born in their place.

 SHADOWS 
Many are afraid of Ana’s presence, a constant reminder of unstoppable changes and the unknown. When sylph begin behaving differently toward her and people turn violent, Ana must learn to stand up not only for herself but for those who cannot stand up for themselves. 

LOVE 
Ana was told that nosouls can’t love. But newsouls? More than anything, she wants to live and love as an equal among the citizens of Heart, but even when Sam professes his deepest feelings, it seems impossible to overcome a lifetime of rejection.

 In this second book in the Newsoul trilogy, Ana discovers the truth about reincarnation and will have to find a way to embrace love and make her young life meaningful. Once again, Jodi Meadows explores the extraordinary beauty and shadowed depths of the soul in a story equal parts epic romance and captivating fantasy.

My Thoughts:

The sequel to Incarnate was equal if not better than the first book. I extremely enjoyed jumping back into Ana's world. The problems that arise in Asunder make Ana's journey so much more dangerous, but she is willing to fight back. 

I have always loved strong female characters. That might be why I identify with Ana in this novel. She finally grew up and learned that if she didn't speak out for the newsouls nobody would. She learned that she had to protect newsouls otherwise the world that she lived in would continue to be an unfriendly place. 

The thing that got me about Asunder is some of Sam's friends that accepted Ana in the first novel suddenly felt threatened by her. They thought that her relationship with Sam was inappropriate because of the 5000 year age gap. 

Even though Sam professes his love for Ana he still seems afraid in this novel of forming an equal, loving relationship with her. Their romantic moments in this novel were a great addition to the novel. Sometimes I felt like I could not understand Sam's actions. Some of the things he did made me wonder why Ana was still so in love with him although she couldn't say it. 

Change is a big theme in the novel. People are afraid of change and the newsoul's becoming more prominent than the reincarnated souls. This is when people began to threaten Ana. Ana's makes so many discoveries in Asunder that really add to her story. 

Overall I loved Asunder and highly recommend this series. I can't wait to find out how Ana's story ends in Infinite. 

I read Asunder as part of the Incarnate series Readathon hosted by Bonnie @ A Backwards Story and Alexa @ Alexa Loves Books

Rachael 


2 comments:

  1. I finally was able to put Infinite on hold at the library tonight and I'm number 1!! Soooo I missed the readathon. But still can't wait to get started and see how it all ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to read Phoenix Overture or Infinite during the readathon, but I'm still so excited to read them.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.