Thursday, February 6, 2014

January Challenge Wrap Up

Ana and Elsa from Frozen Credit and Disneyland Castle Credit
January was the month I tried to get a good start on all my reading challenges. My rule for this year is that I have to get all my reading challenges done by the end of November so I can spend December reading Christmas novels. I might do a special Christmas in July readathon so if you would like to participate give me input. I think I had a pretty good start to the year.

Also give me your opinion on ideas for this update post because honestly it took a lot to create the pictures and it is the same covers over and over again. I would like a way to use the book and challenge pictures that would take less work to make. Give me input.

The books I read in January were Golden by Cameron Dokey, Zel by Donna Jo Napoli, Pivot Point by Kasie West, Incarnate by Jodi Meadows, Allegiant by Veronica Roth, and The Fairest of Them All by Carolyn Turgeon.


Hosted by Literary Escapism All of the authors I read in January were New to Me Authors besides Veronica Roth. I loved every single one of my New Authors and will be reading more of their books. 
Hosted by Book Dragon's Lair  All of the books I read in January were library books.
Hosted by Socrates Book Reviews. I finished one series in January, which was the Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth. Although the ending wasn't what I expected I love how she wrapped up the Trilogy. 
Hosted by Read, Sleep Repeat. are the three books that counted for the 2014 Series Challenge this January
Hosted by Novel Heartbeat and Writer Grrl Reads. The prequel & sequel challenge does not reward me for starting new series, but finishing series I have already started. I finished the Divergent Trilogy and January and received 12 books. 2 for reading Allegiant and 10 for finishing the series. 
Hosted by Somewhere Only We Know. The only series ender I read in January and I loved it. 
Hosted by Coffee Bean Bookshelf. All the books I read in January were published before 2014. That will be changing come February.

Hosted by Ready When You Are C.B. Right now I'm on track with this challenge. I'm going to cheat a little bit n February to read Split Second and Cress, but otherwise I'm going to keep whittling away at my TBR pile. 
Hosted by Books and Iced Coffee. I will also be changing this in February. I read all YA in January, which is fine, but I'm going to read more of a variety in February. 

Reading Retellings is hosted by The Nighttime Novelist and  Fairy Tales Retold is hosted by Debz Bookshelf.
I have an event coming up in March and then there is Fairy Tales Retold in April so I'm really in a fairy tale mood right now. These three are all awesome Rapunzel retellings who just so happens to be my favorite princess and the star of Marissa Meyer's Cress. 
Hosted by Jessie's Book Place. Three books to start off the year for the quick fix challenge.
 Hosted by Rachael Turns Pages. Two books to stat off the year for the in the middle challenge.
Hosted by Chunkster Challenge. Allegiant was my only chunkster for January. I'll have some more this month.
Hosted by  Anne and Kristilyn's Book Bingo I changed the bingo card, but I'm still doing great with this challenge. I haven't crossed off any boxes yet though. Maybe in February. 

Hosted by Blog of Erised. The two books that were set in dystopian worlds that I read in January. 

Overall I think January was a great start to the year. How are you doing on your reading challenges?

Rachael 

7 comments:

  1. You are making good progress on your reading challenges!! Bravo!! I don't know what you could do for your challenge pictures? Maybe start using a number of books bar under it?? Here is a tutorial. I am thinking about doing it but haven't yet: http://www.thebookvixen.com/2011/01/tutorial-reading-challenge-progress.html

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the hard part because I love the visual appeal of using the pictures of the challenge buttons and the book covers. I might try new month putting the book cover and then putting all the challenge pictures underneath the book cover. It still could be time consuming, but maybe not too bad.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you made great progress! I'm in a lot of the same challenges -- I just enjoy them so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I love using the challenge progress bars Angela recommended! Takes a little getting used to, but they're not hard once you get the hang of it. And then maybe just each book cover once, saying that those books for the month counted toward XYZ, etc. challenges and update your numbers. Just my two cents! I definitely wouldn't want to be adding that many images every month, it would make me crazy!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your input Christine. I think that would probably be a good way to go about it. A lot of the books count for several challenges.

      Delete
  3. Great job on your reading challenges! I've never tried a reading challenge. I'm not sure if I would want to next year or not. The series challenge though looks interesting though. Best of luck in completing your challenges!

    ReplyDelete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.