Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Book Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (no spoilers)

Book: City of Ashes
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publication: March 24, 2009
Source: Local Library
Rating: 5/5 stars
Summary (from Goodreads):
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

 To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father? 

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.


My Thoughts:
I enjoyed coming back into the world Cassandra Clare created. I found City of Ashes so much easier to dive into than I did City of Bones. For one I was already used to her writing style. I already knew the world so Cassandra Clare didn't have to reintroduce it and I didn't have to wrap my mind around it. I already knew and loved the characters. I can't say the beginning was full of action, but I was interested.

I really enjoyed the brother-sister complex between Jace and Clary in this novel. I think a big part of what happened in this novel was because they are related. Although I still so badly want them together. I also really like what happened to Simon in this novel. The person I really didn't like was Maryse who is Alec, Max, and Isabelle's mom. I really didn't like her attitude throughout the novel. The action with Valentine was awesome. As always I really enjoyed Isabelle and Alec's characters.

I really flew through this book after the action started. It was thrilling and action packed. I really came to love City of Ashes more than City of Bones because I enjoyed understanding the novel from the beginning. Unlike the ending of City of Bones which I was disappointed in City of Ashes left us with a big cliff hanger that makes me want to go pick up City of Glass right now.


Thanks for reading


Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.