Saturday, April 13, 2013

Movie Review: Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Credit
Credit
This post is going to be a little bit different from my usual posts on here. I just watched Atlantis last night and I have looking on the internet for some fan art and well Kida has some of the best fanart I have seen so I thought I would review the movie and share some of the wonderful fanart with all of my readers.

Credit
Atlantis is based off the legend of Atlantis an empire that is somewhere in the middle of the ocean for unknown reasons. Milo Thatch's family has been obsessed with finding Atlantis for many generations. Milo is not willing to give up on finding this lost city. He begs and pleads with his professors to fund his trip, but they won't listen until he meets professor Witmore who made a promise to Milo's grandfather that if his grandfather could find the journal of the lost city. Then he would help him find Atlantis. Milo's grandfather is gone so he is using Milo to keep his promise. He has put together a crew of the best team you could get and they set off on their journey to Atlantis.
Credit

This journey is not without perils. They lose over 100 men when these bugs from Atlantis attack their campsite and start fires. The special effects in this movie were amazing. By the time they are halfway through their journey there is only a few of them left. The main crew. They are in a cave when they keep seeing something scatter past. Milo is hurt because of the fire bugs when Kida comes up to him, takes off her mask, and heals him with her crystal.

Credit
Kida hopes that these outsiders can heal the city of Atalntis where their people are no longer living a life of luxury, but a life of starvation and misery. She brings Milo and his crew to her father the king, but he does not see things the way Kida does. He wants to keep their empire pure from outsiders that may have come to destroy their city. Kida's father tells Kida that Milo's crew can stay for one night then they must return to the mainland. This is when we begin to learn the captain's real intentions of this trip. The rest of them aren't evil, but for a while it seems like the whole crew is against Milo.

Credit
The magic crystal is their power source in Atlantis. They would all die without its power. It is the crystal that the captain seeks to find and sell for many hundreds of dollars. Milo came here to protect the people of Atlantis while the captain came here to destroy them. Kida leads them to the crystal. The crystal is protected by the kings of the past much like the stars in the Lion King are the great kings of the past. Kida kneels down to pray, but is interrupted by the captain's impatience. Then comes along the single most greatest special effect of the movie. Kida's steps into the light and her eyes are lite up by the crystal. It is there the crystal chooses her and she comes back as almost an ice sculpture.

Credit


This is where Milo needs to prove his worth and he will have to fight his whole crew to save Kida. They set off on another adventure to go after Helga and the captain. There is a lot of battle scenes to return Kida to her empire before everybody dies. Unfortunately Kida's dad doesn't make it. Milo is able to rescue Kida and bring her back to the lost empire. Kida and Milo become an official couple and they both use their crystals to raise Kida's dad's headstone to surround the crystal. Milo's crew says goodbye and they all come up with the story that they never found Atlantis. The movie ends pretty open ended with Milo and Kida the king and queen of the lost empire.
Credit 

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed with the ending. I haven't seen this movie for a long time although I stack it up as one of my favorite Disney movies. I believe Atlantis is one of the most underrated Disney movies and it deserves more credit than it gets. It is an amazing movie and I fall in love every time I see it.

Credit
Credit 
Atlantis II Milo's Return isn't as good as the first movie. It is basically three separate episodes where Kida, Milo, and the gang set out to save the world from monsters. I wish it had more Atlantis culture, but it is still a pretty good movie. My heart melts to see Kida and Milo together. I hope you enjoyed this post. I will not be doing these often. I just wanted to do this one to expose you to these beautiful pictures, and a great, but forgotten Disney movie.


*None of the images above are my own all copyright belongs to original owners and Disney. If some of the credits are wrong please tell me so I can give credit to original creators of the fan art*


Thanks for reading 


Rachael






2 comments:

  1. I need to check out Milo's Return. I always like to watch the sequels to Disney movies though most are not made from the Disney animated teams. The movies are contracted out to different studios. So usually they aren't as pretty and they hardly ever get the same voice cast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned it isn't the best, but I still just melt seeing Kida and Milo together. I really love Atlantis and think it is one of the most underrated Disney movies.

      Delete

Hi my name is Rachael and I want to thank you for commenting on my blog. I appreciate every single comment I receive and I reply back to all comments.